Subsidies for Kyo-Machiya Renovation
The City of Kyoto has designated areas where the streetscape and lifestyle culture of Kyo-Machiya houses remain strong, in order to effectively preserve and pass on the quaint townscape formed by Kyo-Machiya houses and the unique and refined lifestyle culture. To help alleviate the costs of maintaining and preserving the Kyo-Machiya houses in the district, the City of Kyoto offers subsidies for renovating the houses. When renovating your Kyo-Machiya, you can apply for the municipal subsidies.
* When demolishing a designated Kyo-Machiya, you are required to notify the City of Kyoto at least one year in advance.
* Contact the City of Kyoto or visit its website for information on the designated areas.
Renovation Subsidis for Designated Kyo-Machiya Houses
This subsidy covers part of the cost of renovation works required for maintaining and preserving Kyo-Machiya houses in designated areas under the Kyo-Machiya ordinance and individually designated Kyo-Machiya houses.
Eligible Buildings: Kyo-Machiya houses in designated areas under the Kyo-Machiya Ordinance
Eligible Construction Works: External refurbishment*1 (Limited to renovation works in areas visible from roads and other public places.)
Subsidy Amount: 1/2 of costs of eligible construction works, up to a maximum of 1 million yen
You can apply for subsidies as many times as you like until you reach the maximum amount. (This does not apply to areas that have been subsidized within the last 10 years.)
*1 External refurbishment means the repair and improvement of the external appearance of walls, roofs, external fittings, lattices, etc.
* We are no longer accepting applications for the current year's renovation works.
Preliminary Consultation ⇒ Application for a Subsidy ⇒ Subsidy Approved ⇒ the Start of Construction ⇒ the Completion of Construction ⇒ Completion Report* & Request for the Subsidy ⇒ Subsidy Provided
* Attach the following to the completion report:
* "The Kyo-Machiya Ordinance" refers to the Kyoto City Ordinance on the Preservation and Inheritance of Kyo- Machiya.
* "The designated areas" are the areas designated in accordance with Article 16 of the Kyo-Machiya Ordinance.
* The maximum subsidy is 2.5 million yen for Kyo-Machiya houses that have been individually designated under the Kyo-Machiya Ordinance. There are other differences in Kyo-Machiya subsidy provisions for such houses. Please contact the City of Kyoto, Town Revitalisation and Creation Promotion - Kyomachiya
(Tel: 075-222-3503) for details.
* Please contact us as soon as possible! This offer will end as soon as the budget runs out.
Examples of Subsidized Renovations
Part of the exterior wall of the gable (mortar) replaced by a cedar wall.
Refurbishment of the eaves
Restoration of the exterior
Replacement of roof tiles
Arrows International Realty Corp.